COVID-19: Student Information

Health and Safety details

Your safety is our top priority. » Learn more

Student funding

Funding and assistance are available through the federal and provincial governments. » Learn More


Should you have additional questions, you can connect with us through the following email:

Campus classes and services

 Am I expected to be on campus and attend face-to-face courses and programs? Added Dec. 11

You are expected to be on campus only if you are enrolled in courses that have a face-to-face component.

 Has TRU’s attendance policy changed for courses that are not taking place in person? Added Dec. 11

TRU’s attendance policy remains the same for any course. We encourage you to be familiar with the TRU attendance policy, which outlines expectations for attendance and what you need to know to avoid being mistakenly considered withdrawn from your course(s). Of importance to note, registered and waitlisted students must attend the first 2 course events, or make prior arrangements acceptable to the instructor, to avoid being withdrawn.

 Is the library open? Added July 31

Although the library building is not open to visitors, the staff is offering library services electronically and launched some new services to support faculty and students.

 How is TRU delivering its courses for the upcoming terms? Updated Feb. 12

For the spring/summer term, the number of courses delivered face-to-face on campus are expected to increase gradually while the majority of students will continue to learn virtually.

For the fall term, our desired goal is that all students enrolled in TRU’s traditionally on-campus programs will have the opportunity for some face-to-face instruction on one of our campuses. Planning is already underway, and more details will be shared as planning begins to take shape.

Most courses that are delivered virtually will be a blend of scheduled virtual meetings (i.e. synchronous activity) as well as assignment of work that does not require specific meeting times (i.e. asynchronous activity). These courses appear in the course schedule with the building listed as “virtual delivery”.

The course schedule still includes times and days for courses delivered virtually to ensure conflict-free timetables; however, not all weekly scheduled meeting times will be required for synchronous activity in all courses.

Instructors will identify during the first week of the semester which, if any, weekly scheduled times will require virtual synchronous activity.

Students should select virtual delivery courses with the understanding that they may be required to participate virtually in synchronous activity during the scheduled days and times indicated.

TRU is guided by the principle that the health and wellbeing of students, staff and faculty is paramount above all other considerations, and committed to adhering to all directives from the Provincial Health Officer.

TRU now offers Student Success 0600, a free online course that helps students make the most of programs with alternative delivery.

 Are student residences closed? Updated April 27

Our residences are open. Residences are our students’ homes and as such, students should practise the same precautions related to COVID-19 as they would in their own home – wash hands regularly, practise proper sneeze and cough etiquette, and keep surfaces clean. Students who share accommodations with others MUST self-isolate if they, or others who share the accommodations, become symptomatic or are otherwise confirmed to have COVID-19.

Students in residence who think they have COVID-19 must advise Campus Living Centre’s Housing Administrator Kaylee Butler ( who will advise the university’s manager, Community Safety and Emergency Management.

 Are campus study spaces and computer labs available for students who require them? Updated Sept. 1

The Campus Services and Spaces page provides information on available computer labs and study spaces. While using these spaces, please adhere to social distancing guidelines by keeping between three to six feet between you and the next person.

 What technical requirements are needed for alternative delivery courses? Added June 5

Please see the Technical Requirements for Alternative Delivery page.

TRU now offers Student Success 0600, a free online course that helps students make the most of programs with alternative delivery.

International Students

 What is happening with classes and how do I get all of the required documents I need to TRU if schools and universities are closed? Updated Dec. 11

Applications are open for winter intake. We are preparing to offer our full breadth of courses and will ensure it is delivered in alignment with the physical distancing guidelines stipulated by the Provincial Health Officer, various ministries and public health agencies.

For open access undergraduate programs and post-baccalaureate programs, we will accept digital copies, but official documents must be submitted prior to the start of classes, otherwise you may not be able to register. For master’s programs, official transcripts/documents are still needed as well as official English test scores.

 Can I register if I have not yet obtained my study permit and visa? Added Dec. 11

At this time, only students with approval in principal (AIP) or final study permit approval can register for courses. Students who do not yet have a study permit may be eligible to request to be registered for winter 2021 semester courses while their study permits are being processed. Requests will be considered until Dec. 15, 2020. » More information

 What will happen for international exchanges and field schools? Updated Dec. 11

All inbound and outbound international exchanges, as well as all international field schools have been cancelled until further notice.

 What will happen in the fall for international exchanges and field schools? Added May 26

All inbound and outbound international exchanges, as well as all international field schools have been cancelled for the fall term.

 Is TRU still processing study permits for students during the pandemic? Are there any specific restrictions for international students?

TRU doesn’t process study permits. Immigration, Refugee and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) processes and issues study permits. For detailed information, please visit the IRCC website.

TRU provides supporting documents such as a letter of enrolment, letter of completion, transcripts and supporting letters. To request supporting letters, please click here. If you need your transcript, you can order your transcripts online.

 If I need to get a COVID-19 test, will the costs be covered by the Medical Services Plan (MSP) or the extended health and dental plan? Updated Dec. 11

If you feel sick, please see our Health Screening page for more information. If 8-1-1 refers you to get tested for COVID-19, the fees will be covered by MSP.

 What happens if I have challenges with my courses or don’t have a computer? Updated Dec. 11

Concerns regarding your courses should be discussed directly with your instructor. If you need access to a lab or study space on campus or access to a lab, please check the campus services page to see which computer labs and study spaces are open.

 Can I visit my home country during the Christmas break and continue my winter semester studies from there? Added Dec. 11

Yes, as long as you are not enrolled in courses with a face-to-face component. However, you should check with a TRU World Immigration Advisor (RISIA on the go) to make sure it will not impact your PGWP eligibility.

For more information on student international travel during the pandemic see the Government of Canada website.

 Will I have problem coming back to Canada if I leave? Added Dec. 11

TRU’s COVID-19 readiness plan has been approved by the provincial government, therefore we are able to reopen and welcome international students to our campus. However, please note that travel restrictions can change at any time, and the final decision to allow you to enter Canada will be at the discretion of a CBSA officer.

These are the following documents you should have:

  • Study Permit approval (letter of introduction), or a valid Study Permit
  • A Temporary Resident Visa (TRV) or Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA)
  • A current Letter of Acceptance (LOA).
  • Proof that you have enough money to support yourself and any family members who will accompany you to Canada

For more information on student international travel during the pandemic see the Government of Canada website.

 Can I take the winter semester off now that my courses will be delivered virtually? Added Dec. 11

In order to maintain compliance with your study permit conditions, you should be enrolled in full time courses throughout the winter semester:

  • Undergraduate/diploma programs – 9 credits/semester
  • Graduate programs – 6 credits/semester
  • Part-time studies in the final semester of your program is allowed

For more information on student international travel during the pandemic see the Government of Canada website.

Prospective and Future Students

 If I am a post-secondary transfer student, how will TRU make a decision on my application? Updated April 27

TRU is in contact with most post-secondary institutions across the country, and certainly within British Columbia, during this time. We have plans for the electronic delivery and receipt of transcripts from across the country and are monitoring and adjusting as needed. Should other institutions modify their grading schemes, we will review and work with those transcripts accordingly.

 When can I expect a decision on my application?

Please continue to monitor your email and your myTRU account for updates on the status of your application. Good luck. We’re looking forward to welcoming you to TRU!

Open Learning Updated April 27

A full page of information for Open Learning students, including information about academics, communications, health and wellness and FAQs can be found here.


 What is happening around travel involving TRU students, faculty and staff? Updated April 27

Currently, only essential travel is allowed in and out of BC for all citizens.

TRU temporarily discontinued all university-sponsored outbound international travel for students, such as student or faculty exchanges; co-operative education work term placements; practica; internships; travel/study programs; travel to conferences and on university business; activities that are part of a university course or program (credit or non-credit); and university-organized extracurricular or athletic activities.

All non-essential faculty and staff travel was similarly halted. Anyone who has travelled MUST self-isolate for 14 days upon return to the province to help contain the spread of COVID-19.

Search To Top