Thompson Rivers University
Thompson Rivers University

Transition Planning

Accessibility Service provision is a key element of transition planning for students with disabilities but is only one piece of a much larger transition process into the university environment. The transition to the post-secondary environment signals a significant shift in the student's academic life whereby the student becomes an equal partner in her/his education as a self-directed, independent learner.

For students with disabilities requiring additional arrangements and who are registered with TRU it is crucial that they contact Accessibility Services a minimum of three months prior to the start of their semester or course(s). In addition to our receipt and verification of disability documentation, some services, such as interpreting, alternate format texts, and external funding, require sufficient lead time to arrange.

Transition to university: information for parents and high school students

There are differences between services and accommodations provided at high school compared to services and accommodations provided at university for students with disabilities. Please see the table below as well as the frequently asked questions that follow.

What are the main differences between services and accommodations for students in university compared to services and accommodations for students in high school?

  High School College/University
Access to education for students with disabilities is regulated by... The School Act in BC BC Human Right’s Code, University Policy BRD 10-0, Academic Accommodation
To show that a student has a disability, they must... Have an IEP that can be based on a formal diagnosis or an informal identification Have recent documentation (3 years old) of their disability. For students with a learning disability, a psychological-educational assessment is often required.
The decision to disclose one’s disability is made by… A parent or guardian The student
If students don’t tell their teachers/professors directly that they have a disability… Teachers/professors will find out anyways, from students’ special education teacher The teachers/professors won’t know
To inform teachers of accommodations…. The special education teacher provides each classroom teacher with IEPs for all of their students Students must register with Accessibility Services. Typically accommodation letters are emailed to instructors once per semester (with student consent)
Teachers/professors will know students’ specific disability/diagnosis… Always- students’ identification/diagnosis is written right on their IEP beside their list of accommodations Only if students specifically tell them – otherwise they will only know which accommodations students receive, but not why (diagnosis)
The cost of assessments and assistive technology is provided by… The school board The student (unless the student qualifies for provincial grants for technology or learning disability assessments)

Questions? Please visit the FAQ page for students.

Search To Top