Documentation Requirements

If you wish to access services and/or academic accommodations you are required to provide Accessibility Services with current documentation (within the last five years) on the nature and degree of your disability.

Acceptable documentation must be obtained from a certified health care professional who has specific training, appropriate professional designation, and expertise in the diagnosis of the conditions for which the accommodation is being requested. Examples of appropriate health care professionals include the following:

  • Physician or medical specialist
  • Ophthalmologist
  • Certified audiologist
  • Psychiatrist
  • Registered clinical psychologist
  • Certified school psychologist (BCASP registered if in BC)
  • Neurologist
  • Neuro-psychologist

The documentation we require for a learning disability must include a psychological-educational assessment from a registered clinical psychologist or certified school psychologist. The psychological-educational assessment must have been completed in the last five years, or the assessment must have been made after age 18.
The documentation must speak to the degree and extent of the functional impact of the disability. It must also provide recommendations on what would be deemed appropriate and reasonable accommodations and/or services.  An Accessibility Advisor and, when consulted, the Manager of Accessibility Services, will review the documentation and discuss with the student the appropriateness and reasonableness of the recommendations in relation to the university's academic standards and the essential requirements of the course and/or program.

Documentation can be dropped off at Accessibility Services in person (Old Main room 1631), emailed from your myTRU email account, faxed directly to Accessibility Services at 1-250-371-5772 (please call after transmission to ensure prompt pick up, phone 250-828-5023) or mailed to Accessibility Services (Accessibility Services, Thompson Rivers University, 805 TRU Way, Kamloops BC V2C 0C8).  Please write “confidential” on the envelope.  This is in keeping with the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act (FIPPA).

Search To Top