New Student Mentors
Are you a new-to-TRU student this fall? Let us be amongst the first to welcome you to TRU’s campus!
Congratulations on starting your journey at TRU. We want you to feel welcome on campus and supported as you transition into university life.
As a new student it can be overwhelming to come to a new school, maybe even a new city, meet new people and adapt to a new level of education. Orientation and transitions ambassadors are an incredible support as a mentor to help make your first year as successful as possible.
All new-to-TRU students (including transfer and mature students) have the option to be paired with one of these upper-year student mentors.
- Requests for a peer mentor are accepted based on available capacity
- You and your mentor can set mutually-convenient meetings
- You may meet bi-weekly or chat via text, email, or social media. Whatever means makes you comfortable
- There is no cost to participate
- Please note that mentors are not tutors, and cannot help with course-specific content questions.
What can I expect as a mentee?
As a mentee, you should expect the following:
- Get connected with your own Peer Mentor via email or social media. Letting your Peer Mentor know how to contact you will assist them in getting you important information throughout the mentoring period.
- Ask questions! Your mentor has been in your shoes before and can share their experiences.
- Attend workshops and events. We host multiple events per month and they are a great way to take a break, meet people, and enjoy some free food.
- Commit to contacting your mentor a minimum of 2 times per month.
Getting a mentor
If you are interested in being matched with a mentor, we'll ask you for information to help us find the best match possible. Matching can be based on academic program, academic school, or identity.
So you've registered for a mentor. What happens next?
Check here for resources and workshops introducing you to the many ways we help make your first year at TRU amazing.
During the first few weeks we work hard to match all of our interested students with a great upper-year student who will act as their peer mentor throughout the year. During the last week of August you should be hearing directly from your peer mentor. Make sure to check your email!!
Let's keep it going all year! Your peer mentor will help you throughout the year with any questions and we provide workshops and social events to keep you connected to campus. So make sure to visit our webpage and watch your email for notifications!