Diploma in Management Studies
The Diploma in Management Studies provides you with a broad background in management studies and three specialization options: accounting, human resources and marketing. If you have already completed the Certificate in Management Studies, you need only 30 more credits to earn the Diploma in Management Studies. This in turn takes you that much further toward the Bachelor of Commerce.
A strong grounding in quantitative courses, including Foundations of Mathematics 11 or Pre-calculus 11 or equivalent
A minimum of nine TRU credits (distance or on-campus)
60 credits, with a minimum GPA of 2.00 (a grade of C) over all courses required to complete this credential, as follows:
Core knowledge requirements (30 credits)
- Either ACCT 1211, Accounting 1 (3) or ACCT 2211, Financial Accounting (3). If you choose ACCT 1211 and plan to specialize in accounting, you must also take ACCT 1221 Accounting II.
- Either ACCT 2251, Management Accounting (3) or MNGT 4711, Decision Analysis (3)
If you are specializing in accounting, you must take ACCT 2251, Management Accounting.
- Either MATH 1091, Business Mathematics (3) or MATH 1101, Finite Mathematics (3)
- STAT 1201, Introduction to Probability and Statistics (3)
- MNGT 1211, Management Principles and Practices (3)
- CMNS 1291, Introduction to Professional Writing (3)
- CMNS 1811, Professional and Academic Composition (3)
- ECON 1901, Principles of Microeconomics (3)
- MKTG 2431, Marketing (3)
- MIST 2611, Management Information Systems (3)
Substitution of other similar courses may be considered on a case-to-case basis.
Elective requirements (up to 30 credits)
Courses in management studies, business, economics, mathematics and statistics: ACCT, BLAW, BUSN, ECON, ENTR, FNCE, HRMN, IBUS, MATH, MIST, MKTG, MNGT, ORGB, SCMN, STAT), with 15 credits at the 2000-level or higher
Up to 15 credits in approved arts and sciences courses or in technical or specialized-skills courses appropriate to your coursework
Specialization option (15 credits)
You are awarded this option if you complete one of the three following areas of specialization:
- FNCE 2121, Financial Management (3)
- BLAW 2911, Commercial Law (3)
- ACCT 3201, Intermediate Financial Accounting 1 (3)
- ACCT 3211, Intermediate Financial Accounting 2 (3)
- ACCT 3221, Income Taxation 1 (3)
- HRMN 2821, Human Resource Management (3)
- HRMN 3841, Employee and Labour Relations (3)
- BBUS 3661, Strategic Human Resource Management
Two courses from the following:
- MNGT 2131, Motivation and Productivity (3)
- ORGB 2811, Organizational Behaviour (3)
- BLAW 2911, Commercial Law (3)
- MKTG 3451, Professional Selling (3)
- MKTG 3471, Consumer Behaviour (3)
- MKTG 3481, Marketing Research (3)
- IBUS 3511, International Business (3)
- An approved 4000-level MKTG course
Consult with your program advisor to ensure that the courses you select can be applied toward the program requirements of your chosen credential.
Also, before you register in a course not listed on the OL website, you must apply for a letter of permission. Otherwise, you may find that either course credits cannot be applied to your program or you must pay a transcript reassessment fee.