Education and Social Work Menu
Master of Education (MEd)
Learn in a personalized environment — one that supports student success.
The MEd program is designed for you — a working professional in education, administration, training, or employee development — who wants to assume a position as an educational leader and researcher in education, health care, private industry or government.
Courses from this program may be used for the BC Teacher Qualification Service, and may lead to a pay raise.
Proud to offer Indigenous education
What our students say
The program has given me an opportunity to explore areas of my career that I am passionate about and want to learn more about. This program has allowed me to further grow my abilities and skills in leadership and gives an opportunity to question or inquire about the way education has changed and influences change.Roy Styles, Vice Principal, Arthur Hatton Elementary (current MEd student)
A great feature of the MEd program is how flexible it is — you can make it the program you want it to be by choosing the courses focusing on the subjects you're interested in and dig deep. Also, the connections you make with instructors, staff, and friends in classes build the foundation of your professional network.Ziwei (Vera) Wu, Employment Facilitator at Open Door Group Kamloops (Grad June 2018)
Our MEd instructors offer a range of professional fields, supporting several areas of study and expertise. You will have opportunities to:
- Gain a deeper understanding of Indigenous education through first-hand experience learning from the land, meeting Elders, and exploring Indigenous research methodology
- Study educational leadership from experienced current and former BC K-12 educators
- Learn how to incorporate current inclusive and special education methods into your teaching practice
The MEd has been designed for maximum choice by students. In addition to completing the core courses, students select from across the elective courses. Through your elective choices, you can take advantage of a wide array of subject matter that is relevant to your current career path. You can work with your instructors to tailor your assignments to your interests and make a positive impact in your life, your career, and your community.
Students in the MEd are able to access weekly workshops and regular tutoring appointments from dedicated Graduate-level TA's through our Graduate Students in Education Success Centre.
Download our MEd Brochure for more information.
Carve your own career path
Graduates work in a diverse range of educational settings, including:
- Elementary and secondary school administrators
- Post-secondary instructors and sessional professors
- Online education faculty members
- Instructional designers and editors
- Marketing and communications editors and writers
- Subject matter consultants and reviewers
- Early childhood education teachers
- K-12 teachers in the public and private sector
- Textbook writers and editors
- Teaching English as a Second Language instructors
- Project managers and business analysts in education
Please note: The Master of Education is not a K-12 teaching qualification. In Canada, a Bachelor of Education is required to teach K-12 and be eligible for the Teacher Qualification Service, which can lead to a pay raise.