The application period for the Fall intake with open on September 1 and close on February 10.
Apply for admission to the first year of TRU Law either online or by completing our 2022-2023 TRU Law paper application form. Applications for admission completed by Nov. 1, will be considered for early admissions and given priority consideration for scholarships. However, applications are considered on a rolling basis, and offers will be made prior to the application deadline. Students are encouraged to submit complete applications as early as possible. Applications, along with supporting documents will be accepted until the final deadline date of Feb. 10th.
Option 1: Online application instructions
- Please see our TRU Law Application Instructions document for detailed instructions for the online version.
- Complete an online application through the TRU Apply to a Program website. Note that you will need to first register for an EducationPlannerBC account. International students will need to use the paper application form. When completing your application, you will need to select "Fall 2022 (Sept-Dec)" for your start date, "Juris Doctor (Law) Applicant" for your application category, "Professional Degree" for your program level, and "Juris Doctor - Law (JD)" for your program. You will need to pay the non-refundable application fee by credit card to complete your online application.
- When completing the online application, please ensure that you provide your supplemental information where requested (which applicant categories describe you best, LSAT test date(s), names of referees). Please note: only two references are required. If your referee is emailing their reference to email@example.com, they should put your first and last name in the subject line. It is the applicant's responsibility to follow up with their referees to makes sure the letters are sent. We do not contact your referees to request a reference letter. We will not review your application until it is complete.
- Upload your CV/resume and your Statement of Interest with your online application. Your CV or resumé should include your academic honours, employment and/or professional experiences and extra-curricular community activities, if applicable.
- Remember to request your transcripts to be sent to us directly from your post-secondary institutions.
Option 2: Paper application instructions
- For international applicants, complete and submit the 2022-2023 TRU Law paper application form. Once your application is submitted and processed, we will let you know your TRU ID number (unless you already have one from a previous application or previous studies at TRU). Once you have your student number, you will be able to provide your payment for the non-refundable application fee and submit all additional documents. Instructions are on the paper application form.
- Emailed applications should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please ensure your first and last name appear in the subject line.
You may select from one of the following three categories of Admission: Regular Applicant, Indigenous Canadian Applicant, or Special Consideration Applicant.
Obtained an undergraduate degree in an approved course of study from a degree granting institution; or
Successfully completed the first 3 years (minimum 90 credits) or more of an approved course of studies leading to an undergraduate degree from a degree granting institution.
Indigenous Canadian Applicant:
If you self-identify as Indigenous, you may apply in either the Regular or the Indigenous Canadian applicant category. See the Indigenous Applicants page for more information.
Special Consideration Applicant:
Please provide any circumstances which you wish to have considered by the Faculty of Law Admissions Committee. These circumstances can include disability or special needs, financial disadvantage, age, membership in a historically disadvantaged group, residency in a small and/or remote community, or injuries and illness. The Committee is particularly interested in how these circumstances may have adversely affected your performance in your undergraduate work or on the LSAT. PLEASE NOTE that applicants in this category must still satisfy the basic requirements for admission into the program.
Your application will only be considered for admission when complete. Each application must include the following:
- Either a completed online application or a completed paper application along with payment of the application fee.
- Official transcripts from all post-secondary institutions attended. Sent directly from the post-secondary institution.
- Statement of interest (maximum 750 words). Noted in online application: submit by email if applying with hard copy application.
- Two letters of reference (at least one academic if possible) forwarded directly by the referees to the TRU Law Admissions Office (either by mail at 805 TRU Way, Kamloops, BC, V2C 0C8 or email to email@example.com — please ensure your first and last name appear in the subject line). NOTE: This requirement of two reference letters was revised from three letters of reference on Oct. 24, 2016.
- Your CV/Resume if you did not upload it to your online application.
- Any other supplemental documents that are required by your selected category of admission, which can be sent to the mail or email address above.
Once you've completed your application:
- 5-10 business days after your application is submitted, you'll gain access to your MyTRU account. Be sure to check your MyTRU account periodically for your status. As documents arrive from your post-secondary institutions and we receive your reference letters, your status will go from "Incomplete" to "Complete" and then to "Pending Decision" when it has been sent to the Admissions Committee for review.
- *Please note, adding supporting documents to each applicant file is a manual process and can take several weeks from the time that the documents arrive, to when you see them noted on your MyTRU account. We thank-you for your patience.
- Once the applications are deemed complete, they will be sent to the Admissions Committee for review. You may either be Accepted, Wait Listed, or Declined entry.
- To access your MyTRU account, go to myTRU
- If you have trouble logging in, please contact the IT Service Desk at ITServiceDesk@tru.ca