Frequently Asked Questions

 How do I make an appointment?

Drop-in or Make an Appointment. Please do not email a request for an appointment unless you provide a telephone number for us to contact you directly.

If you are from out of town and unable to come to Kamloops, the Academic Advisors are happy to make telephone or virtual appointments.

 Do I need a second language?

Yes, if you want to earn a Bachelor of Arts degree at TRU. To satisfy the BA second language requirement, a student must have a second language to Grade 12 or six credits in a post-secondary language course. TRU offers second language courses in Chinese, French, German, Japanese and Spanish.

 How do I switch programs?

Depending on the program you are currently in, this is a relatively simple procedure. First, review the admission information and program description found within the TRU Calendar. Second, select the Program Information, which can also be obtained from the Enrolment Services, and follow the steps listed within the program information. Finally, apply for admission and pay the application fee.

 What are prerequisites?

Prerequisites are courses that must be taken BEFORE another course is taken. For example, you cannot take second-year English before you have taken first-year English. In choosing courses, it is extremely important that you check the prerequisites listed in the course descriptions (found in the TRU Calendar). Success in the course will be jeopardized if you do not possess the appropriate prerequisites. Furthermore, when you are planning your courses, it is important to look ahead to courses you wish to take in future years and ensure you take the required prerequisite courses beforehand.

 What high school courses do I need to get accepted to TRU? Can I upgrade?

The answer to this question will differ depending on which program you are interested in taking. Admission Requirements detail the educational and general requirements that must be satisfied for admission to each program. Programs that are science and technology based require very specific high school courses and grade requirements. Others simply require students to have graduated or have mature student status. You can check admissions requirements a number of ways:

If you need to upgrade, TRU offers university preparation courses in biology, business, chemistry, computing science, English, general science, math, physics, psychology and social science.

 When should I apply?

TRU starts accepting applications on Oct. 1 each year, and many programs fill very quickly, so it is important to apply early and complete all admission requirements as soon as possible.

 What are the deadline dates for applying to TRU?

Students are always recommended to refer to their Program Information for the program they are interested in taking, as deadline dates at TRU can vary greatly.

 What's the difference between lower level and upper level courses? Graduate level?

Typically, lower level courses are courses numbered as 1000 or 2000; these are generally completed in the first and second years of degree programs. Upper level courses are courses numbered 3000 and 4000 and are usually completed in the third and fourth years of a degree program. All students enrolled in upper level courses, must meet with a Program Advisor and have their coursework approved before registration.

Graduate level programs have courses numbered 5000 or above.

Some exceptions exist where upper level courses may be taken before entry to third year. Check the TRU Calendar or with an Academic Advisor for more information.

 What is an associate degree or diploma?

An associate degree or diploma can be awarded after students have completed a specified program of study generally two years in length. TRU offers associate degrees in Arts and Science, and an Associate Diploma in Commerce and Business Administration. Students interested in these programs must carefully read the TRU Calendar, as they may have different requirements than the full degree programs.

Associate program checklists:

 What if I didn't graduate from high school? What is a mature student?

A mature student is any applicant of at least 19 years of age with a minimum of two years out of school. Mature students are considered for admission to programs even if they lack the grade level requirement (Grade 10, Grade 12, etc.), but must still meet the individual program and course prerequisites (example: Math 11 with a C+).

 What if I'm applying for a limited enrolment program and don't get in?

You can submit two applications at once. For example, if you are applying to the Bachelor of Natural Resource Science program (BNRS), you should also submit an application for Bachelor of Science. In the event you do not meet the prerequisites or GPA requirements for the BNRS, you can still take science courses to help you become better qualified. You may then reapply to the BNRS program the following year.

Search To Top